The SimpliFried Manifesto

If you’re anything like us, you enjoy all of the conveniences of eating out at restaurants — no shopping, a variety of dining options, and not having to wash a single dish after you’re finished. Eating out is one of our favorite things to do, but it is expensive, and the quality of service, ingredients, and atmosphere vary dramatically from restaurant-to-restaurant and from night-to-night at the same establishment. Simply picking where to eat can be just as frustrating as figuring out what to make at home.

We’re busy, and after long hours at work, feeding ourselves and our families can feel like a burden. But we don’t want it to be a burden. We want the stress surrounding mealtimes to go away. We want eating at home to be as convenient as eating in a restaurant. We want to sit down, enjoy a delicious dinner, and know exactly what we’re eating and whether we’re providing our bodies with proper nutrition. We also want to enjoy the company of our friends, families, and even our own thoughts in the comfort of our homes.

We want to eat something for lunch other than reheated leftovers. We want to be able to chop onions without bleeding. We want to save our money to buy the best quality kitchen gadgets, appliances, and equipment we actually use, and stop wasting our money on items and features we don’t. We don’t want food to rot in our refrigerator’s crisper. We want to get the best cuts of meat from the butcher. And, we want to feel like celebrity chefs when we put food on the table.

Most of all, we want the process to be as painless as possible.

We want these things, and we have accepted the quest to make them happen: SimpliFried is a blog about ending mealtime stress. If your nerves are fried, we’ll be your simple, delicious, and nutritious cooking guide.

1. Posted by gerette - 01/04/2011

Gee, I was hoping you had developed some sort of Multi-task Unitasker–put in any food and it will fry it, ready to coat your arteries with clogging fat while giving you tasty, quick meals your family will love. ;-) Glad to see I was wrong.

2. Posted by Leslie - 01/04/2011

Woohoo! Can’t wait to get inspired!!

3. Posted by Debbie - 01/04/2011

My word for 2011 is Simplify, and one of the areas I want to simplify is planning and cooking meals. Looking forward to hearing more from this new venture!

4. Posted by sarah (the SHU box) - 01/04/2011

looks like a promising new site as i love the unclutterer and uh, food! however, i have to give a positive shout out to leftovers for lunch – some of the healthiest, most efficient, economical and tasty lunches i have enjoyed are leftover from dinner the night before.

5. Posted by Chris Guillebeau - 01/04/2011

Congrats, Erin + Team! This is going to be a fun and worthy project.

6. Posted by Elle - 01/04/2011

I’ve been reading unclutterer for some time now, but this is the most exciting thing I’ve seen so far! It looks like a great project, and something people really need. I love good food, but if a recipe calls for hard to find ingredients or a lot of prep time I immediately skip it, so I’m looking forward to what turns up here!

7. Posted by Astie - 01/04/2011

Unclutter + food = what could be better?

8. Posted by Gil - 01/04/2011

What a fun addition to the family of Unclutterer Site(s). Now you just need a singular “home page” where you can see articles from both (to keep down the web clutter). Then again, most people (me included) probably get your articles in an RSS reader. :)

9. Posted by Mimi - 01/04/2011

all the best for simplyfried!
    i am looking forward to your advices for a simplier and better way to cook!

10. Posted by Badkitti - 01/04/2011

A good idea – can’t wait to see how you organise it – will there be a chance to submit recipes?

11. Posted by Ana - 01/04/2011

Sounds nice…
    I’m trying hard to eat home more times and I really need some inspiring recipes !

12. Posted by Shalin - 01/04/2011

Yay! :)

13. Posted by Elizabeth - 01/04/2011

Cool!

I adore the cartoon dude. :)

14. Posted by Cyndi - 01/04/2011

I’ve gotten rid of just about everything, in preparation to live as a full time. I’m really trying not to replace all my kitchen tools so I am looking forward to you sharing your experience!

Happy Trails, forever!
    Cyndi and Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

15. Posted by Sarah S - 01/04/2011

This is great….congrats! Can’t wait to see what the future hold for you here.

16. Posted by Calvin - 01/04/2011

As a busy student with limited cooking skills, I’m definitely looking forward to learning a lot from this blog!

17. Posted by julie k - 01/04/2011

Just what I need, sounds perfect!

18. Posted by Marge - 01/04/2011

I am so stinking excited you have no idea! Thank you so much! Keep up the great work!

19. Posted by Julie Bestry - 01/04/2011

Erin, I’m already a fan of everything you do, and even though (or maybe because) I don’t really cook, I also experience mealtime stress. I think this new venture will meet the needs of widely disparate readers. Best of luck — I know this is going to be great!

20. Posted by Malcolm - 01/05/2011

Really looking forward to this, Erin. We eat at home mostly (eating out is a relatively rare treat) but at our age (65 or so) we are both a bit burnt out kitchenwise – in a rut, etc. So this sounds like it might just get us inspired again!

21. Posted by Michele - 01/06/2011

I look forward to seeing the recipes suggested and I agree with Sarah that leftovers are the way to go for easy economical nutritious lunches. If it was good at dinner it will be good for lunch too!

22. Posted by Christine - 01/18/2011

Love the recipes and I love to cook I do have a new way of making my mashed potatoes and also my rice and that is when your boiling your water for your rice and or potatoes add two cubes of bullion cubes (we use beef if we have beef or chicken if we have chicken and the bullion cubes give more flavor and I also add a dash of Garlic salt or you may use garlic powder if you don’t like garlic salt. My family loves my potatoes and rice this way they refuse to eat it any other way.

23. Posted by Nick - 04/01/2011

I’m already a big reader of Unclutterer Erin – but for me this site is even better. I’m one of those people who cooks to relax – but having two small boys with active lives and ravenous appetities the family menu tends towards the simple, nutritious and delicious – (I do the majority the cooking) – but it also has to be on the table quickly.

Any hints, tips and tricks from you and the other readers as to how to avoid the convenience food trap will be much appreciated – and expect plenty of feedback from me to !